Rock composed of hydrated aluminum oxides. Bauxite is a naturally occurring, heterogeneous material composed primarily of one or more aluminum hydroxide minerals, plus various mixtures of silica, iron oxide, titania, aluminosilicate, and other impurities in minor or trace amounts.
- Bauxite is the best and only material for making aluminium.
- There are several processes like Bayer Process and Hall-Heroult Process involved in the extraction of aluminium from bauxite.
- And once extracted, aluminium and aluminium based alloys are used extensively in electronics, construction, vehicles and even in utensils.
- Bauxite is used in a lot of industries like the chemical industry, refractory, abrasive, cement, steel, and petrol industry amongst others.
- In chemical, bauxite along with alumina is used in the manufacturing of aluminium chemicals.
- In refractory, it is used as a raw material for making several products.
- Bauxite is the main constituent material in the aeroplane making industry, electric industry, machinery and civil tool-making industry.
- It is also used as a desiccating agent, adsorbent, catalyst and in the manufacture of dental cement.
- Lateritic bauxite is often used as building material when no other materials are available.
- Calcined bauxite is used by construction companies as an anti-skid road aggregate which is used in selected areas to prevent accidents.
- Bauxite has limited uses but the wide application of paper making, water purifying, and petroleum refining.
- Additionally, Bauxite is also used is some other sectors like rubber, plastic, paint and cosmetics